BAMBOO Buzzing Bee Food Wrap Facts - Answers To Common Questions
HOW DO THEY WORK? By the heat of your hand – yes it’s that simple. The natural ingredients of each Buzzing Bee Food Wrap are specifically blended so that when you wrap it over the top of a basin or the end of a piece of fruit/veg/dairy product, it reacts to the heat from your hand and enables you to mould the fabric to cover the food. The Wraps may initially feel sticky and smell of beeswax; this is natural and nothing to worry about - it will lessen the more you use them.
ARE THEY SAFE TO USE ON FOOD? Yes, our Wraps are handmade in our studio in the UK - NOT imported - so we know what's gone into them.
- We've specifically sought ingredients that we can trace.
- The wax infusion contains only natural beeswax, jojoba and resin - there are no other ingredients in our Wraps and a positive consequence of this blend is that they have natural anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- We use 100% bamboo which is OEKO-TEX® Standard 100 certified, this means it’s been tested by an independent organisation to ensure it does not contain any harmful substances.
- Our Wraps are printed with our distinctive Buzzing Bee designs in the UK using eco-friendly inks.
- EASY TO CLEAN? Very easy – just wash in cool water with washing-up liquid and hang up to dry away from any heat source. Do not wash in hot water as this will melt the wax and render your Wrap unusable.
- ANYTHING I CAN'T WRAP? There are a few things to note:
- Do not use your Buzzing Bee Wraps on raw meat or fish as anything that comes into contact with these foodstuffs needs to be washed at high temperature and doing so would melt the wax in the Wrap.
- Do not use Wraps where they will come into contact with a heat source eg. oven, microwave, sunlight etc.
- Do not cover hot food as this will melt the wax and, again, signal the demise of your wrap.
- HOW LONG DO THEY LAST? Up to a year – dependent on usage.
- CAN I REFRESH MY WRAPS? Yes. With repeated use the wax may crack, this is normal. Just pop your Wrap into the oven on greaseproof paper on a baking tray at 100 degrees for 2 - 3 minutes – take it out, hang it in a cool dry place et voila a refreshed Wrap ready for another round of wrapping. (Try saying that after a tipple or two!)
- HOW ARE THEY MADE?
- The bamboo is infused with natural, triple-filtered, organic beeswax, blended with pure cold-pressed jojoba oil and natural resin.
- Our Buzzing Bee design is printed using eco-friendly inks.
- We then finish off the edges to ensure they don't fray.
- WHERE ARE THEY MADE? The bamboo is woven in Asia and printed in the UK. The blending, infusion and professional finish of each Wrap is undertaken by us in our UK studio.
WILL THE COLOUR OF ALL BUZZING BEE FOOD WRAPS BE IDENTICAL? In its unmodified natural state, the colour of the beeswax we use can sometimes vary slightly – depending on what the Free-To-Roam bees have been feeding on - mainly forest, wildflower and gorse blossom. This may mean your wraps take on a more golden appearance – this is natural and does not in any way affect your wraps or the food they come into contact with. ·
ARE THE WRAPS RECYCLABLE? Indeed they are! They will eventually lose their adhesion, but this doesn’t mean the end of them. Use them with recycled string or ribbon as jar covers – simply cover a bowl, jar or pot with the Wrap and use the ribbon or string to secure it. Once they’ve come to the end of their service in your kitchen, they can still be put to good use - they’re bio-degradable so you can pop them on your compost heap. The cardboard packaging your Wraps come in is also recyclable.
- WHY DON'T YOU USE WIDELY AVAILABLE FABRICS, LIKE OTHER PRODUCERS OF FOOD WRAPS? We hope you like our exclusive designs. We deliberately don't use widely available fabrics because:
- To us, knowing a workforce is in a safe working environment, producing traceable products is worth more than an unknown jazzy design, any day.
- We could easily just buy fabric with pre-printed designs, but we couldn't be certain of its origin and under what circumstances it had been woven and printed.
- We prefer to know the full process of manufacture is safe and of a high quality so that we can offer you a better product.
- We've commissioned our own designs and had them printed onto our handmade Wraps, knowing the bamboo is ethically sourced and the designer and printer were paid a fair rate for their talent and skill.
- WHAT'S THE PACKAGING MADE OF? We've taken as much care with our packaging as we have with our selection of fabric, inks and processes. Your Wraps will come in a box which has been printed with food-safe inks and the interior has been coated so that it's resistant to the slight stickiness of your Wraps - this stickiness is perfectly normal and helps with adhesion when wrapping food. Once you've finished with the box, it's recyclable, compostable and bio-degradable.